Road to Tomorrow

Road to Tomorrow - Mary Metcalfe When I realized that this was the third book in the ‘Look to the Future’ Series I panicked as I have not read the first three books. After few clicks on Goodreads, I realized that it was safe to read the third book without reading the first two as these are stand-alone books with similar themes.

The story follows the life of Andrea, who got married to Sean at a young age. Sean is from a military background and to most people he is a respectable soldier and a friendly guy. Its only Andrea knows his other personality – where he is short tempered and abusive. Though Andrea tries her best to rationalize her situation, when it becomes too much, she leaves town before her husband is due to return from line of duty. But on her way she has an accident when strangers enter her life and everything changes for her.

I loved Andrea. She is necessarily a woman – and as a result she has a soft heart. When Sean’s abusive personality becomes evident, she tries to find excuses on his behalf. It’s a typical reaction that I would expect from a woman because no matter what, she had loves Sean and it wasn’t easy for her to let go of that emotion. But when it becomes too much for her to deal with, she draws on her strength to leave Sean and his abusive behavior behind. Sean seemed like a split personality to me – one when he was at home and one when he was outside those confines. But Andrea’s brother irked me even more than Sean. Richard should have taken steps to ensure his sister’s safety, encouraged her to walk out on the abusive relationship, instead he just advised her to stay out of Sean’s way when he is angry! Are you kidding me? But yes, then I loved the people of the small town where Andrea settles in. There was a feeling of belonging and kinship there and I admired that a lot.

The plot in general is a simple one and is very predictable.

It is the author’s way of dealing with sensitive issues like domestic violence, deviant children and later about dealing with PTSD that makes this novel extra special. She has given us an insight into the minds of an abused person and also someone who is suffering from PTSD. It was so easy to relate to and understand Andrea’s psyche that it was actually scary. The most important message is that if you are in an abusive relationship then get out of it now. Do not wait till it is too late and never let your children be subjected to it.

Overall this was an interesting and enlightening piece of work that I devoured in a matter of hours. My only issue with it is that though it was good to see Andrea moving on, I felt that it came a bit too fast. I doubt if it is so easy for someone who has suffered abuse in a relationship – to trust again and to move on so soon after. Anyhow, that’s my personal opinion and a very small issue. Otherwise this is one of those ‘Must read’ books.