Lionel and the Golden Rule (Lionel's Grand Adventure)

Lionel and the Golden Rule (Lionel's Grand Adventure) - Paul R. Hewlett Lionel's Grand Adventure is a beginning chapter book for ages 7-10. It has been a long time since I last read something like this and it was quite a pleasant change. Also, this is the first time that I am reviewing a book meant for children. Thanks to the Author, for trusting me with his gem of a book.

The story begins when Lionel moves to Penobscot, Massachusetts along with his family. He is left to his own devices and so he decides to explore around his new room while “pushing his glasses back up the whole time.” That’s when he finds the foot of ‘Three-Toed -Potbellied Walbaun’. Curious about his discovery, he finds out more about the Three-Toed -Potbellied Walbaun foot from an unlikely source - the town eccentric, Mr. Jardean. Once convinced that he really had something magical, Lionel decides to try out its power and thus begins his great adventure…

It’s a charming story that is bound to capture the little hearts! (& some not so little ones - like mine!) The names that the author has come up with are also going to catch the attention of the kids who love the unique names or love to play with words. Best of all, it also teaches a lesson in guise of a story! My only regret is that I got an e-copy instead of a physical copy – I would love to see the accompanying pictures that are bound to make this book even more interesting for the kids.