The Drifting (The Velesi Trilogy)

The Drifting (The Velesi Trilogy) - L. Filloon Finally! Yes, that’s all I could think of when I received my review copy of this book. I had read and loved the first book in the series, The Binding, and have been waiting to get back with Cessa again.

The Drifting takes off right where The Binding was left off. Lily’s enters the world of Velesi not as a princess with Tharin, but with Ziri as her captor. Slowly we are introduced to new characters, some whose names we have heard before and some completely new. We are also made aware of a Prophecy that involves Lily. The book then revolves around the prophecy and how the characters deal with everything. I am not getting into the plot much because the summary of the book says it best.

This book has a slow start in the beginning but with a purpose. It gives you a chance to know the new characters introduced and then picks up its pace. Starting with Tharin and Lily – I often found myself wishing I had Rapunzel’s Frying pan (from Tangled movie) to hit them both on the head and get their brains working. Really, the problem with this couple is communication. They do not ever tell the other person what they are feeling and why! But this is one problem I have seen many of my friends face in their lives too, though not as much. So I guess it also helped make them more real to me. But Lily did disappoint me at a few points and hope she’ll be more like the girl I came to think of her as after reading the first book. Kalis turned out to be exactly what I had imagined her to be like from the descriptions/conversations in the first book. Ziri, Mellis and my favourite Cessa really rocked the world of Velesi in this book. I would have loved to see a bit more action from Tolan.

The world of Velesi is so beautiful. The description of its creatures and landscape made a real good impression on me. I would love to be able to go there myself – if only somebody would open the portal for me! The plot as such maintains a good rhythm and Oh My God, the cliffhanger!!! I so wish I had read this book only when I had the final book at hand. Now I have to wait for it to release and go crazy thinking about what is going to happen next.

I am usually scared of reading the sequels of the books that I have enjoyed reading because more often than not, I am disappointed by them. They either match or fail to match my expectation. Very rarely does it exceed my expectations and Ms.Filloon has certainly exceeded my expectation with her plot, writing and the book cover in the second installment.

I am certainly looking forward to the third and final installment in the series.