The Lost Prince

The Lost Prince - Julie Kagawa I have been trying to get my hands on the Iron Fey Series for a REAL LONG time. But for some reason, I haven’t been able to get to it. So I was quite overjoyed when I got approved for this book on NetGalley. Before starting the book, I was aware that this was going to be a spin-off on the actual series and may contain some spoilers on the Iron Fey Series and so I was ready for them.

Ethan Chase is the brother of the Iron Queen, Meghan Chase. He has the Sight that allows him to see the Faery World. It is uncommon in the mortal world and the Fey are always aware of those who have the Sight. Having some unpleasant experience with the Fey, Ethan tries to stay away from both the Fey and normal human as he believes that his association can only hurt the human. He puts up a strong, dark, care-not attitude in front of everybody and is basically rude to anybody who tries to reach out to him. For him it’s the only way he can maintain distance and avoid trouble. Now at late teens, starting over in a new town and school, where his reputation had preceded him, Ethan has no plans to change his ways. All he wants is to avoid trouble and just get through high school. But his fate has other plans for him. No matter how much he wants to stay away, he cannot help but get involved when half-bloods and exiles start disappearing. He is forced to get back to the Iron Kingdom and to his sister to make sure that the right people know what is going on. What he didn’t count on was a smart, stubborn and cute Kenzie to get involved. Will he finally let someone see beyond the fake image that he puts up? Will he finally let somebody get close enough? Most importantly, will he answer the call of the fey?

I must say that all that hype over Julie Kagawa’s writing style – is true. She has spun an amazing world for the Faery. I absolutely loved her way of storytelling that gives the reader no chance to escape. Once you pick up the book, you cannot put it down till you have read the last line. I was no exception and got sucked in right from the beginning.

The original characters from the Iron Fey Series, Ash – Meghan – Puck, made brief appearances. Though it doesn’t tell me much about them, but the glimpse of their personalities makes me feel like I am going to be a Puck fanatic when I finally get to reading the series. Red hair, lively and mischievous. Anyway, this book is all about Ethan Chase, Mackenzie St.James and Keirran. I like the dark and broody Ethan who is reluctant to get involved. But when it is clear that there is no other way, he does what is right and practical. He is strong and a good fighter. Kenzie is curious and loyal. I like her for being spunky and sticking to Ethan even though he tried his best to get rid of her. Keirran is a troublemaker for sure. He too has a certain charm. But with the way this book turned out, I am not too sure what to think about him.

Over all, this was a great experience. Now along with the Iron Fey Series, I will be equally eager to get my hands on every upcoming Call of the Forgotten books too.