Confessions of a Murder Suspect

Confessions of a Murder Suspect - Maxine Paetro, James Patterson So, this is the first book in a new James Patterson series written in collaboration with another author, Maxine Paetro. [I am still wondering how that works?!] James Patterson’s name had been enough for me to pick up a book and I am a huge fan of the Alex Cross series. But there have been a few disappointments in the recent past which resulted in me thinking twice before picking up a new Patterson book. In this particular case, I got mixed feedback from my friends and in the end the lure of title of the story was way too much and I finally picked it up.

A rich and influential couple is found murdered and the main suspect in this case is the victims’ children. Under microscope of the officials is the daughter Tandry, who incidentally was also the last person to see the victims alive. Malcolm and Maud Angel, the victims, were wealthy and perfectionists. They raised their children to be like them – excel in everything they do. But that kind of pressure while growing up can also cause some damage to the psyche and the Angel children weren’t spared from that. But the question is if they are damaged enough to murder their own parents? And exactly how many secrets did the Angel family have?

This book caught me off-guard from the very first because of its first person narration style that made me feel as if the protagonist, Tandoori a.k.a Tandry was talking to me directly. I liked it as it made it easier to get involved in the story. It was interesting to see the similarities and the differences between the siblings as they coped with the situation in their own way. Each leading character was introduced perfectly by the narrator with specific descriptions that made it easier to form a mental image of each of them. In turn, it was also pretty easy to sum up Tandry’s character from her narration.

The chapters were short and crisp in true James Patterson style. However, the pace wasn’t as fast. At times it did feel a bit lacking but, Tandry’s ‘confessions’ were just about enough to keep me hooked to the book. The skeletons in the Angels’ closet and the unique interior decoration tastes colour up the book.

Overall, it was entertaining as the plot did make the guessing game interesting.