Arranged Love

Arranged Love - Parul A. Mittal After all the recent campus stories and other stories about IIT/IIM stories, I absolutely wanted to read this book because the summary states that the girl decides reject the IIT-ian. Oh don’t blame me… there’s been just too much written about the ‘difficult years’ that these students go through and the pressures of being an IIT/IIM graduate, I just wanted to read about one getting rejected!

So, the story starts with Suhaani’s life in US. With a degree under her belt and a promising career, she is thoroughly enjoying her status with her American-Indian boyfriend. That is until the recession hits and loses her job. She then moves back to India and to the world of Facebook, Guitar lessons and matchmaking. Apparently, fathers’ always know what is best for their daughters and Suhaani’s father is busy pushing his daughter towards an IIT-ian guy taking guitar lessons with him. To top that, she ends up working in the same company with him as her Boss!

The best part about this book was its characters. They are all fun and lively and each equally important to the story because of their roles in Suhaani’s Life. But the most interesting character was that of Suhaani’s cousin Tanu. Farmville addict mom and a hip dad who spoke freely about sex with their daughter, best friend test driving point view all played onto depicting a change – change in each generation’s attitude and relationship dynamics.

The plot as such is nothing out of the ordinary. With a slow start, things start to pick up once Suhaani lands in India. But what the plot effectively does is communicate about the changing relationship between parents and their child, about the confusion of the present generation about love and marriage. And all dealt with a liberal amount of humour on the side.

Overall, it turned out to be a highly entertaining read that I finished in one sitting!