The Pledge

The Pledge - Kimberly Derting Kimberly Derting has created an amazing dystopian world through her book ‘The Pledge’.

Ludania is a country that has been ruled by its queen generation after generation. Violence is very common and the community is divided into different classes by their occupation and the language they speak. Understanding or speaking more than one language is a sign of a traitor and usually leads to death. But the seventeen year old Charlie can understand and speak every single language. It is a secret that she and her family protect with their life. But with a revolution rising and Charlie’s attraction to Max, Charlie needs to be extra careful because she is a part of a much bigger game than she can ever imagine.

The world of Ludania is one that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. The most prominent point being that Ludania can only be ruled by a Queen. In this patriarchal society, it is a welcoming change to read about a world where not only our protagonist is a kickass girl, but also the ruler is a Queen. An evil Queen, but a Queen nevertheless. It was also interesting to think that different strata of the society is marked by the languages they spoke – English being the common language for all.

The characters in this book are really well developed. Charlie is exactly as depicted on the book cover. She is beautiful, strong with a hint of mystery around her. Max is a perfect match for her. He is loyal and caring. I also loved Xander. His strength of character somehow shines through the book even though he is there only in a supporting role. I love the way defies the Queen. Brook’s character really surprised me. But I loved Angelina the most. She is really young yet has a maturity level that would put a lot of teens and tweens to shame. She too has secrets and watch out for them. She is really sweet, innocent, cute, adorable and strong. Yeah she too is a kickass girl – watch out for her!

Kimberly Derting’s credit lies in creating a really unique world with simple words that has a smooth flow and really makes you feel comfortable reading. Barring the climax, which I felt could do with a bit more action; I loved everything about this book. Can’t wait to get my hands on the sequel!! I definitely recommend this to all dystopian lovers and those who like reading about a strong female lead.