A Knowing Look and Other Stories

A Knowing Look and Other Stories - Rebecca Emin When I first started to read, I used to avoid reading short stories because I used to feel that the ending came a bit too soon. It is only in the recent times that I have started to appreciate how difficult it must be for an author to tell a story effectively within the limitations.

Ms.Emin has not only packed this book with a wide range of stories, but has successfully managed to make each story special. When I say a wide range, I mean a wide range in every aspect – the settings take you from Africa to England in a jiffy and the emotions will take you from the highest high to really low, yet her writing style remained balanced throughout. She had me from the very first story, ‘A Knowing Look’ that touched my heart. ‘Class of 1990’ was nothing like anything I have read before. ‘On the Corner of Clerk Street’ with its amazing twist had he reading the story twice in a row before moving on. ‘Listen’ and the last piece ‘You light up the sky’ were brief yet thought provoking.

Also, the funny thing about my short stories is that every time I read them over, I find something new. It may be just a sentence that appeals to me differently or sometimes a story creates a totally different impression. So, I will surely be picking this book up for a second time after a gap. In the meantime you guys can pick this up without hesitation. The book is some 50-60 pages and so a quick read (unless you end up reading a story more than once like me).