The Secrets of the Dark: The Debt of Blood is Never Repaid

The Secrets of the Dark: The Debt of Blood is Never Repaid - Arka Chakrabarti I am a HUGE fan of Fantasy Genre, thanks to Ms.Rowling. So the promise of a prophecy was enough to make me pick up this one.

St in the fantasy world of Gaya, this book starts off with the Prophecy as foretold. Then it shifts to the story of the Prince’s birth and King’s sacrifice to save him in Land of the Setting Sun. The fast forwarding 20 years, we meet Prince Yani and Briksha’s son Vrish and their friend Agni in the Land of the Rising Sun. Agni is in love with Briksha’s daughter Malini and when he loses her to a fire, Vrish and Agni set out to avenge their deaths. Meanwhile, in the Land of Setting Sun, their king is on his death bed while Lysandra and Damian are fighting Demetrius for the right to the throne. Who is connected to whom and who actually has the goodwill of Agni on their mind? Who slit Malini’s throat before setting the ship on fire?

Oh, I liked the world of Gaya. Well set up and well described, it already feels familiar to me now. The characters are all well-developed except for Yani, who felt a bit flaky to me. Or was he supposed to be like that? It was a tad bit difficult for me to get into the story because the author’s usage of a very refined language style. Only when I finally got into a rhythm of reading did I realise that it was this particular style of language that narration that made the world of Gaya come to life. The author indeed has an eye for detail and gift of painting very vivid images through his words. The pace of the story was well set though we would have loved to be introduced to the Land of the Setting Sun bit earlier as we knew that their prince had to be taken away for protection and I so wanted to know what was going on there from the very beginning.

An excellent debut from a youngster and I liked his initiative to delve into a genre that is widely popular, yet not explored as much in India. I hope he will only mature over the years.