The Redeemers

The Redeemers - Suresh Taneja Okay, a confession here. The book cover and blurb somehow made me think of the movie, ‘Rang De Basanti’.

Imagine this… In the year 2030 India is the super power that gives loans to America. The Dollar rate compared to INR has reversed. Wouldn’t we all like to see that day? Well, as family and friends gather for a get together at the home of Indian Ambassador to USA, the elder generation get down to telling the story of their lives. The story that tells us how four friends on a vacation finally face the truth about their country’s condition and that realisation led them to take some serious action that would finally lead to the change that we are all looking for at the present times.

The protagonists are as such are pretty well fleshed out. They start off as normal people from the crowd of millions of Indian and would probably be hard to tell them apart hadn’t it been for the fact that these four people actually stepped forward to take the responsibility to bring in the changes that we discuss in our drawing rooms. But I have to admit that reading about the groups within groups – as in dads separately or the kids – with a number tag was pretty irritating. Felt like I was reading about some summit group instead of a family or group of friends – a bit impersonal.

The storyline/plot had great potential. I mean wouldn’t we all like to know at least one way that we can handle corruption and become the world’s superpower? But somehow I felt as if an ‘x-factor’ was missing from the story because instead of getting me all charged up and saying ‘yeah, we can do it’, all it had me saying was ‘yeah, nice’. But then at least it was a good change to read about youth trying to change the wrongs rather than lazing about and saying stuff like ‘Now That You' re Rich... Let's Fall in Love!’ The writing style of the author has been slightly marred by typos. The narrative was well done though. I did like the idea of the ‘leaders’ telling the next generation about how they brought about the changes. Kinda inspiring.

Overall, it was a pleasant experience and I hope that the author will continue to mature and bring forward more works of fiction that raises important issues through leisure reading.