The Karachi Deception

The Karachi Deception - Shatrujeet Nath Hail Shatrujeet Nath… What a debut!

Irshad Dilawar, a terrorist hiding in Pakistan, is a known aide of ISI and is on a number of wanted lists. RAW and Indian Army have come together to take this menace off the streets – one way or the other – preferably permanently. But despite their best efforts, they are always a step behind. That’s when Major Imtiaz, the leader of this very special group, realises that their plan has been compromised and that they are walking straight into a trap.

The characters were mostly well developed. I would have personally liked to read a bit more background on some of the major characters. Not a big issue though because I guess that it would have probably compromised with the pace of the story. The protagonist, Imtiaz is a really great character. He is strong, focused and brave. He is the kind of man who is dependable and the kind you can idolize and look up to. You cheer for and be scared for him, all the while knowing that in the end, he will emerge victorious. On the other hand, Dilawar is a character that really needed more time in the plot. I had very little idea about his psyche. Though he is no Gabbar or Mogambo, he does test our protagonist.

The book opens with an assassination plot or a rather a botched assassination attempt and I was hooked. After that great beginning, the story continued to maintain its pace and rhythm throughout. There’s a lot of action in there and I must say that the action scenes were really well done. The language of the author is good and nowhere has he overdone even a bit. The descriptions of places and people felt well researched and were detailed. Okay, so I am not an expert in this case, but as a reader, it just felt right. The chapters led one into the other smoothly and the narrative was just right.

Overall, it’s a great book and an even better debut. Shatrujeet is an author to watch out for and maybe soon we will have our very own James Patterson flooding international market.